Skip to main content

Fly Me To The Moon.

A very good friend, Sandie Bailes, who is a fellow service user wrote this - and gave me permission to publish it. Social Workers take note!!!!!!!!!!!!!


IS IT WORTH IT?

I have been passionate about Personalisation in both care and health since I joined NCODP.

My sheer joy at the thought of being able to choose my care – whether it be actual folk to do the caring or strategies and things in place to make my brain boogie – could waltz my wellbeing star off it’s page!

But then this joy is scuppered by the grey folk who simply do not understand or are unwilling to take on board Personalisation.

It’s not all grey folk; some are warriors and fight my corner but some simply do not want to see me smile; do not wish to join me in my world of sparkling rainbows and chocolate cuddles.

My aim is to be just Sandie; I am a unique human being; MS is only part of me – it’s not all of me. I look to my PB to enhance and enrich each wonderful day; I look to it to enable me to carry on with the volunteer work I do for NCC, NHS and NCODP. I am useful; I am worth something; I thought I’d lost that forever!

I help to shape care and health in Norfolk and I fight tirelessly for everyone to have a life that’s fulfilling and that they choose for themselves.

My support plan is written with all this in mind. My spending is done with thought and wisdom. I would rather struggle and be independent than have someone to do everything for me. My support plan reflects this.
At least I thought so.

I have been refused practically everything.
My needs have changed; I have become more dependent on others and my confidence has waned. MS is progressive and it’s constantly reminding me of this.

Almost all my wishes have been questioned; I have been asked why I need a third PA; why my two other PA’s cannot take on more hours. I thought I could choose who I employ and for how long each week – as long it meets an outcome and I have the money to do this. I have been refused a third break because it’s too much of a percentage of my total budget but in fact, it’s less of a percentage than I allowed for this year. I wanted to go to WW with a friend and lose some weight and also to gain confidence without always being with a PA or my Arf – I was hoping to be more sociable; this was refused.

I have 2 scooters and these are my legs; one in the boot of the car for shopping and one beefy little blighter that sails down to town and lets me hug the independence I crave. They need insurance; both of them. I used my budget last year to pay for both. This time I have only been allowed to insure one scooter. They have chopped off one of my legs.

I put in my Contingency some monies for a computer printer in case mine died; I use this every day in my work with NCODP etc. It’s as if I have a job like everyone else; it’s exciting and I know some of my work is valued. This has been refused.

I admit to sometimes flying to a distant galaxy and asking for a non-existent moon; I accept this and bow my head in shame!

But the grey folk only see colourless wants and needs. I am asking whether they have read my whole support plan where I state what is important to me and what I want to achieve. I thought this was epic in deciding my spending. I am thinking the only part of my plan that’s been glanced at is the money; how much and on what.

I am devastated and upset. I cannot seem to stem the tears. My heart is breaking because reasoning and compassion don’t exist. I am not a piece of paper with numbers on it and comments – I am a heart and a soul that bleeds with despair.

Please bear this in mind – please!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SURVIVOR HISTORY NEWSLETTER

>From Andrew Roberts Secretary Survivors History Group http://studymore.org.uk/ studymore@studymore.org.uk telephone: 020 8 986 5251 home address: 177 Glenarm Road, London, E5 ONB Survivor History Group Summer 2012 Newsletter The July London meeting of the Survivors History Group will be held on Wednesday 25.7.2012 from 1pm to 5pm at Together, 12 Old Street, London. Everybody is welcome and refreshments will be provided. The September meeting has had to be moved from a Wednesday to Thursday 27.9.2012 (subject to approval by this Wednesday's meeting) because of the availability of a room at Together.   -------------------------------------------------------------------- The agenda for the July meeting will be drawn up at the beginning of the meeting, but it will include Peter Campbell's regular report back on the research he is leading on the history of Survivors Speak Out and discussion of material received from other people about Survivors Speak Out.  Rick Hennelly has sen
Self Advocate’s Support and Action Group Wednesday 08 February 2023 Time: 12:30pm-2:30pm https://us06web.zoom.us/j/97471173675 Meeting ID: 974 7117 3675 1. Present Andrew Ray Olcay Russell Phil Sarah 2. Apologies: Jenny Firielle Chris Peter Vicky Andrew welcomed everyone to the meeting. Our last meeting was 8th February. 3. Check-in Andrew asked how everyone was feeling. Everyone shared how they were feeling and their news. 1 Firielle: told us about her acting work. She finished her tour with the play Milk and is now doing a performance with Dark Horse. They are currently touring. Russell: said he had just been to a face-to-face speaking up meeting, which was really good. He also told us that Joanne won the Derek Russell Award for Outstanding Leadership at the North West Self |Advocate’s conference. Peter: said he has been well. He told us about some of the jokes and play on words that he works on. He shared some that he had worked on earlier. Ray: said he has h

inappropriate!!!

I tried to respond to a Patient Citizen Exchange blog by Laura Greene today. I said: Hello Laura. Welcome - and my admiration? for you "single-handedly representing the entire health voluntary sector and 1000+ PCX membership..." My first question has to be: what is the composition of the Strategic Advisory Board? And my second question: what proportion of service users to professionals is there on that Board? There are indeed millions of impatient citizens out there. They are called Service Users (primarily because 'Patient" carries the labels 'One that has things done to her/him'; 'One that is subservient to the "We know what is best for you" approach'; 'One that is at the wrong end of an imbalance of power.' etc). The Americans prefer the term 'consumers', but whatever, we should avoid the term with the negative connotations. I was listening to the 5 Live debate this morning on the Strictly Come Dancing row about whether