Skip to main content

Advocacy `vs the Fear of Losing Funding


I’m being shoved in the direction of believing these things are more about Norfolk attitudes than anything else. Am I right?

I was delighted at the beginning of the year when I was approved as a voluntary advocate for Age Concern Norfolk. At last, I thought, here is something I can do which can’t turn out to be tokenism.

Early on, at an induction group, I was a bit phased when the ‘Development Manager for Advice and Advocacy’ argued that it is perfectly alright for an advocate to give advice but the moment got shuffled away with time demands.

As I began to work with my advocacy partner, a person with a diagnosis of early dementia who was looking at Lasting Power of Attorney, I phoned the office and asked if they had a hard copy of the Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice (I have it on PDF but it’s too long for me to print). The answer from admin was “no” but shortly after I had a phone call from an advocacy supervisor asking why I wanted such a thing - “We’re not here to challenge professionals.” She said! I shrugged to myself and carried on anyway.

Coming up to date, we had a meeting of the advocacy team last week. One of the topics was a new project for advocacy in care homes - a great idea BUT it was announced that part of this would be to help the care homes manage any complaints arising from the advocacy service!!!!!

At this meeting I also expressed some concerns I had picked up during my work with my advocacy partner; concerns that weren’t strictly to do with my advocacy brief but nevertheless quite serious shortcomings on the part of adult social services:


  • a complaint about the home carer just “popping in for no more than three minutes.”




  • a care management review being held in an oppressive and subtly coercive environment that disturbed and distressed my advocacy partner and rendered her unable to participate properly.




  • the absence of any primary or secondary care presence at that review - a failure the care manager to “...ensure the coordinated delivery of health and social care services for people with dementia. (NICE - SCIE Guidelines)” There was no primary or secondary care input in my advocacy partner’s care and no medical or nursing supervision of a plethora of medication all with potentially distressing side effects and one drug which is effectively fatal even in overdose.


Time overtook our group meeting but a separate meeting between myself, my supervisor and an advocacy manager. I went through my concerns again and asked how they would be dealt with. The answer was that they wouldn’t - there was some argument that they didn’t involve ‘the individual’ which I didn’t understand. What I did understand was the Manager telling me they would not take these concerns further especially as they had to be careful “Not to upset their sources of funding.”



Luckily, I had reached a stage with my advocacy brief where I was about to finish my involvement.

I ceased work with this organisation the following day and will be pursuing those concerns off my own bat.

Postscript: I had a follow-up letter today from the Development Manager, Advice and Advocacy it declares: “...we do not condone abuse, mistreatment or bad practice and would challenge any perpetrator of such conduct.”

Mmmm. That’s what I thought and one of the reasons I wanted to work with Age Concern Norfolk but their fine words patently don’t translate into practice.

With voluntary work here in Norfolk, I keep finding downright deceit, tokenism, cosy attitudes or unacceptable and unhealthy compromises. Is there something wrong with me?????????????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SURVIVOR HISTORY NEWSLETTER

>From Andrew Roberts Secretary Survivors History Group http://studymore.org.uk/ studymore@studymore.org.uk telephone: 020 8 986 5251 home address: 177 Glenarm Road, London, E5 ONB Survivor History Group Summer 2012 Newsletter The July London meeting of the Survivors History Group will be held on Wednesday 25.7.2012 from 1pm to 5pm at Together, 12 Old Street, London. Everybody is welcome and refreshments will be provided. The September meeting has had to be moved from a Wednesday to Thursday 27.9.2012 (subject to approval by this Wednesday's meeting) because of the availability of a room at Together.   -------------------------------------------------------------------- The agenda for the July meeting will be drawn up at the beginning of the meeting, but it will include Peter Campbell's regular report back on the research he is leading on the history of Survivors Speak Out and discussion of material received from other people about Survivors Speak Out.  Rick Hennelly has sen
Self Advocate’s Support and Action Group Wednesday 08 February 2023 Time: 12:30pm-2:30pm https://us06web.zoom.us/j/97471173675 Meeting ID: 974 7117 3675 1. Present Andrew Ray Olcay Russell Phil Sarah 2. Apologies: Jenny Firielle Chris Peter Vicky Andrew welcomed everyone to the meeting. Our last meeting was 8th February. 3. Check-in Andrew asked how everyone was feeling. Everyone shared how they were feeling and their news. 1 Firielle: told us about her acting work. She finished her tour with the play Milk and is now doing a performance with Dark Horse. They are currently touring. Russell: said he had just been to a face-to-face speaking up meeting, which was really good. He also told us that Joanne won the Derek Russell Award for Outstanding Leadership at the North West Self |Advocate’s conference. Peter: said he has been well. He told us about some of the jokes and play on words that he works on. He shared some that he had worked on earlier. Ray: said he has h

inappropriate!!!

I tried to respond to a Patient Citizen Exchange blog by Laura Greene today. I said: Hello Laura. Welcome - and my admiration? for you "single-handedly representing the entire health voluntary sector and 1000+ PCX membership..." My first question has to be: what is the composition of the Strategic Advisory Board? And my second question: what proportion of service users to professionals is there on that Board? There are indeed millions of impatient citizens out there. They are called Service Users (primarily because 'Patient" carries the labels 'One that has things done to her/him'; 'One that is subservient to the "We know what is best for you" approach'; 'One that is at the wrong end of an imbalance of power.' etc). The Americans prefer the term 'consumers', but whatever, we should avoid the term with the negative connotations. I was listening to the 5 Live debate this morning on the Strictly Come Dancing row about whether