HELLO THERE!

HELLO THERE!
WELCOME TO ALL FELLOW CAMPAIGNERS for DISABILITY RIGHTS - a pan disability blog connecting my work with, EQUAL LIVES, the National Survivor User Network (NSUN) and the Survivor History Group.
--- HEDDWCH

Protest, Norwich Job Centre

Protest, Norwich Job Centre
Fatso Gets Militant!

Wednesday, 8 June 2011

That Damned Elusive MPernel

Got a phone call yesterday afternoon from Richard Bacon’s snooty secretary - and this is a beautiful demonstration of how Mr Bacon cares about his constituents - “I do have an appointment for you: the 8th July at 9.30.”

Now as some people, including Mr Bacon, know I have to use a wheelchair or mobility scooter to get around. Mr Bacon’s office is in Diss. He knows I live in Thurlton. As part of my physical impairments, I have a legacy from major surgery to deal with cancer which makes, compounded by heavy medication, early mornings difficult. He didn’t know that but I did tell his secretary of that problem too.

Diss is a round 60 mile drive from Thurlton. At standard 40p a mile volunteer rates (being revised upwards) that means a personal cost of £24 to get to see my MP!

So I tried to find public transport. There is a bus from Thurlton to Norwich at 07.07. But searches on the web bring up no buses from Norwich to Diss. The National Journey search details a walk from the centre of Norwich to get a train to Diss - a walk not possible for me. Anyway, if I could find a bus from Norwich to Diss the journey from Thurlton to Diss on public transport would be about two and a half hours. And then I’d be faced with getting from the bus to Mr Bacon’s office when I got there.

So after I told Mr B’s secretary I couldn’t make the appointment she had for me and why, I got: “Well I haven’t any more appointments.” After I expressed my astonishment at this she said: “When I have more appointments I will be in touch with you.”

I can’t help thinking that it sounds like this remote and amazingly inaccessible Norfolk MP periodically rations out times to see his constituents.

Watch for updates.

No comments:

Bweebideebobbida

Bweebideebobbida
The Tough Tenor (when I could walk)!

In a Mellotone

In a Mellotone
Ah sweet Youffff